Please check this page again, as more references will be added soon.
From WorkSafe Victoria:
- Hospitality industry Topic Page
- Advice for Managing Major Events Safely - a 64 page publication that provides practical information to major event organisers, venue owners and suppliers about the management of safety risks and meeting their duty of care through integrated event safety planning. The publication adopts a risk management approach to safety at major events.
- Raising the Glass to Safer Pubs and Clubs - a leaflet
- Managing health and safety in Food Retail - a handbook for the Franchise Industry
- Australian Drug Foundation has information on alcohol at work policies.
- Hospitality industry burn prevention guidelines
The Alfred Hospital Vic adult burns service (VABS) has released guidelines to help kitchen workers minimise the damage sustained as a result of burns. The guidelines [pdf] were launched in conjunction with EnergySafe Victoria and WorkSafe.
- Preventing back pain and other aches and pains to kitchen staff
Aimed at raising awareness amongst employers this guidance material from the UK's Health and Safety Executive offers practical information on good manual handling techniques and lifting aids that will be useful to any section of the hospitality industry. It also offers specific information for kitchen staff on significant risk areas such as pot washing, dishwashing, preparing food, storage and cleaning. The Guidance is a six page document [pdf]
Also from the HSE: A Recipe for Safety a free guide on health and safety in food and drink manufacture. This guide is for everyone in the industry, including workers, supervisors, managers, directors, health and safety professionals and health and safety representatives. The guidance covers the main health and safety hazards in the food and drink industries and gives practical advice on how to manage the associated risks. It provides a 'one-stop shop' reference document with links to more detailed guidance.
- WorkCover Queensland Government - a Cafe and Restaurant Industry Hazard Identification checklist [pdf]
- SafeWork SA had a page on the hospitality industry - but this is currently unavailable. However, it still has a 'Virtual Hotel' on its site.
- Information Bulletin - Portable Outdoor Gas Heaters [pdf] From Work Safe ACT, the bulletin provides guidance to workplaces for selecting, installing and using an outdoor gas-heating source. The bulletin also provides a safety check-list for the use of portable outdoor gasheaters.
- From Work Safe Western Australia an OSH checklist for the catering industry
- The European Agency for Health and Safety at Work has lots of resources on its website, for example:
- Report - Protecting workers in hotels, restaurants and catering (HORECA) [pdf]
- Factsheet 79: Protecting workers in hotels, restaurants and catering [pdf]
- E-fact 21 - Introduction to the HORECA Sector [pdf]
- E-fact 22 - Safety and health risks in HORECA [pdf]
- E-Factsheet 23 Good practice: Accident prevention in HORECA [pdf]
- E-fact 24 - Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) in HORECA [pdf]
- E-fact 25 - Managing psychosocial risks in HORECA [pdf]
- E-Factsheet 26 Dangerous Substances in HORECA [pdf]
- E-fact 27 - Hot environments in HORECA [pdf]
- From WorkCoverBC (a Canadian regulator): A video series on Safe Work Procedures for room attendants.
Last amended July 2015