WorkSafe Victoria is the occupational health and safety arm of the Victorian WorkCover Authority. It takes the lead role in the promotion and enforcement of health and safety in Victorian workplaces.
WorkSafe Victoria is the manager of Victoria's workplace safety system. Broadly, the responsibilities of the organisation include:
- helping avoid workplace injuries occurring
- enforcing Victoria's occupational health and safety laws
- helping injured workers back into the workforce
- managing the workers' compensation scheme
The WorkSafe website has information on the OHS Act and regulations, provides access to WorkSafe publications such as Codes and Guidance materials, has a number of industry pages reporting WorkSafe's activities in these programs, and safety topic pages.
WorkSafe also has two dedicated sub-sites:
- HSR Portal - designed specifically for HSRs and an easy way to access the latest information
- WorkSafe News - with the latest news, Media Releases and campaign news
Other useful sub-sites are:
- the Service Provider Directory - the 'service providers' listed on this site include Class A and Class B Licensed Asbestos Removalists; Approved Occupational Health and Safety Training Providers; Authorised Workers Compensation Agents; and more.
- Prosecution results summaries - (also now on this page, Enforceable Undertakings). This page provides minimal details of prosecutions.
WorkSafe's statutory obligations are spelt out in several Acts of Parliament. These include:
- health, safety and welfare in the workplace under the Occupational Health & Safety Act 2004
- workers' compensation and the rehabilitation of injured workers under the Workplace Injury, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act, 2014 (WIRC Act). Read more.
- explosives and other dangerous goods under the Dangerous Goods Act 1995
- the transport of dangerous goods by road under the Road Transport Reform (Dangerous Goods) Act 1995
- high-risk equipment used in public places and on private premises under the Equipment (Public Safety) Act 1994 .
WorkSafe Victoria has funded the establishment and maintenance of this website.
Last amended February 2015