3.6 High Risk Work

This part of the 2007 OHS Regulations replaces the 1994 Certification of Plant Users & Operators Regulations, and regulate what work requires the operator to hold a licence for.

A high risk work licence means any of the licences listed in Schedule 3 of the regulations.  These are:
    Pressure equipment operation

    Basic boiler operation
    Intermediate boiler operation
    Advanced boiler operation
    Turbine operation
    Reciprocating steam engine operation

    Scaffolding and rigging

    Basic scaffolding
    Intermediate scaffolding
    Advanced scaffolding
    Basic rigging
    Intermediate rigging
    Advanced rigging

    Forklift operation

    Forklift truck operation
    Order-picking forklift truck operation

    Crane and hoist operation

    Tower Crane operation
    Derrick crane operation
    Portal boom crane operation
    Bridge and gantry crane operation
    Vehicle loading crane operation
    Non-slewing mobile crane operation
    Slewing mobile crane operation (up to 20 tonnes)
    Slewing mobile crane operation (up to 60 tonnes)
    Slewing mobile crane operation (up to 100 tonnes)
    Slewing mobile crane operation (open/over 100 tonnes)
    Self-erecting tower crane operation
    Boom-type elevating work platform operation
    Materials hoist (cantilever platform) operation
    Hoist (personnel and materials) operation
    Concrete placing boom operation
    Winder operation

Requirement to hold a licence

The regulations require a person carrying out work that is defined as 'high risk'  to hold a licence:

  • it is an offence for a person to carry out the work without the appropriate licence.  
  • it is an offence for an employer to allow an employee to carry out the work without the appropriate licence
UNLESS the person -
  • is undertaking training in order to obtain a high risk work licence. The person MUST be under direct supervision - that is, basically 'in sight and sound' of the supervisor - unless the level of competence of the person renders direct supervision unnecessary (reg 3.6.5).  In these cases, the person should be assessed for competency and get their licence.
  • is awaiting his/her licence to be processed
  • is working under the terms of an exemption granted to the employer under regulation 7.2.2

Other information

  • Interstate licences are recognised in Victoria
  • Licence for High-Risk Work application forms can also be collected from Australia Post outlets, downloaded from WorkSafe website or ordered from the Worksafe Advisory Service (03 9641 1444 or 1800 136 089). There are different forms for different licences.
  • Licensing fees vary depending on the type and class of licence. To check on the progress of an application call the Licensing Branch on 1300 852 562 or email licensing@worksafe.vic.gov.au.
  • Licences are issued for a period of five years, and are valid in every Australian state and territory.

The Regulations describe in detail the process of assessment of competency and licencing, as well as the qualifications of those persons who assess competency.

Further information

Last amended June 2015


Please send in your occupational health and safety questions to Renata. We will respond within a few days.

Ask a question


Please complete the form below to subscribe to the SafetyNET Journal email newsletter.

Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).

Your details


Have you had your initial training yet? Want to do a refresher course? Register online!

OHS Training